Tuesday, October 2, 2012

How I Clean My Makeup Brushes

On the same night I cleaned my hairbrushes earlier in the week I also cleaned my makeup brushes. So I thought I would show you how I keep those clean. I have been using this method to clean them for years now and I can't really remember where I first saw it or who told me about it. But it has kept my brushes in great shape. And you don't need anything fancy like the brush guards. This is a deep clean method that I try to do about once a month. I have a simple spray cleaner from Clinique for in between quick cleanings. 


You will need:
  • Dirty makeup brushes
  • Dish washing liquid
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • A long bath towel

First fold your towel like the picture below. Roll one side up a couple of times. This is so your brushes can dry tilted down and the water won't stay in the barrel.

Next fill a bowl with 3 parts dish washing liquid to 1 par EVOO. Swirl your brush around in the bowl to get all the old makeup off. Then swirl the brush around on the palm of your hand to really get the pigments off. Rinse the brush completely under lukewarm water. Squeeze out any extra water and re-shape your brush with your hands.


Once you've cleaned your brushes lay them on the towel with the brush part tilting down. You want to dry the brushes on an angle so the water will run out the fiber end of the brush. If the water sets in the barrel of your brush it can loosen the glue and your brush will start to shed. So this is very important.


Then I like to fold the towel over the brushes while they dry. I like to let them dry completely overnight so this keeps them protected. And you are done! Perfectly clean, like new makeup brushes using household products.



6 comments:

  1. Good information and I really like that you used products everyone(or nearly everyone)has in their kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd seen this before I bought new brushes! Such a great and simple idea. Thank you for sharing! (btw, I am SO jealous of how many brushes you have!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME, thank you...I just cleaned mine but next time will use your towel method! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is good information every make up wearing lady should know. Thank you for posting.

    Shannon
    http://fixingforfriday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit, I am pretty lax about cleaning my brushes regularly. This is a great idea and just the oomph I needed to get my butt in gear and clean them right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this simple method! I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...